The Dr. Is In!
The Perfect Storm
Sometimes, life hits us with a “perfect storm.” After it’s over, we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and ask, “What the hell just happened?”
Since April, 2011, I have experienced such a “perfect storm.” A cataclysm of personal, financial, family, and professional circumstances has unexpectedly forced me to say something I hoped I’d never have to say: “I have to retire from the adult industry.” Sadly, I have written my last review, honored my last Must-See Girl, and extoled the virtues of my last performer of the week.
It is really hard to say goodbye to you, my loyal readers, my fellow critics, my studio-executive friends, my beloved “Must-See Girls” and "Performers of the Week," and all the gorgeous and passionate pornstars I’ve written about for 14 years.
Over the years, I’ve reviewed more than 600 movies for two on-line resources: adultdvdreviews.com and xcritic.com. I’ve tried to be fair and objective while striving to be considerate to the performers about whom I’ve written. I came up with a published scoring standard, so my reviews were consistent and didn’t vary depending upon things like favoritism or petty quarrels. And, people have told me repeatedly that I have written the most balanced and thorough reviews in the business.
I feel very strongly about the women, men, and transsexuals who bare their all for us on the screen. Each and every pornstar is a unique a valuable human being. So, I created an award program that has honored scores of pornstars who are, in my opinion, “Must-See.” Many girls received their “Must-See Girl” Award from me before receiving any other accolade. Some have broken down and cried when I presented them with their plaques because nobody else had ever recognized them formally.
During 2011 and 2012, I highlighted one outstanding performer each week in my Performer of the Week blog. I've tried to call to your attention the very best women, men, and, in the case of Bailey Jay, the best She-Male.
As I say goodbye to a business that has been part of me for over one-fourth of my life, I’d like to personally thank numerous people and organizations:
- You, my loyal readers. Without you, there would have been no reason for me to write the millions of words I've used to describe the movie's I've watched.
- Adultdvdreviews.com. I know you’re no longer in business, but you guys believed in me and gave me the opportunity to experience a charmed life.
- Performer and director Jewel de’Nyle. Jewel, you were always thoughtful to me and I’ll never forget you inviting me to participate in shooting several of your Babes in Pornland movies.
- Director and producer Marc Giffy. There has never been a porn producer/director/videographer with a bigger heart.
- Adella. You will always be my friend. I love you.
- Larry, Jewel de’Nyle’s dad. You’ll also be my friend forever.
- Will Rider. Few people have ever cared more about what I think.
- Red Light District, Digital Playground, and Adam & Eve. Thank you for sponsoring my “Must-See Girls” program for five successful years.
- XRCO and AVN. I’ve truly enjoyed adding my voice to yours to reward the best of the best each year.
- All the studios that trusted me with their movies. It’s hard, I know, to bare your work (pun intended) to someone like me. Yet, you kept sending me titles…lots of them! I hope you got good value for your money.
- Janine Lindemulder and Julia Ann. Blondage made me love porn...and both of you. Thanks, ladies.
- Eva Angelina. I created the “Must-See Girls” program just for you, because you’ll always be must-see. I’m very proud of you and your family.
- Megastar Jenna Jameson. Even though you are the world’s only porn super-legend, you always remembered who I am and always said just the right thing whenever we met.
- Brittney Skye. Thank you for letting me be a part of your first-ever girl/girl experience...with Kate Frost. Thanks to you, too, Kate, for teaching me that a hotter-than-hell girl like you can also be sweet and kind.
- Jesse Jane. Thanks for being the amazing person you are...and for running up to hug me every time we see each other.
- Teagan Presley. I’m very proud that a fellow Houstonian has reached the level of success that you have achieved.
- All my “Must-See” girls and my Performers of the Week. You are all sensational and I hope your husbands/boyfriends respect and appreciate you as much as I do.
- Chris Thorne, from XCritic.com. I really appreciate the support you’ve given me during the last couple of years of my “critic career.”
Good bye, good luck, and keep on fucking.
Recent Photo Galleries