1) Big Wet Asses 15: Despite the rush by most companies to embrace the sitcum parody market in 2009, some in the industry held fast to what they do so well, Elegant Angel providing the clearest looking porn in high definition while keeping all extras and sticking to the basics. William H. Nutsack brought home the bacon with the exceptional clarity, casting, and performances of the oil soaked fun to be had in Big Wet Asses 15, the firsts found in the movie not hampering the amazing degree of chemistry and heat given off by the ladies. Further, the amount of fuck for the buck here was so high that combined with the other elements, the Professor of Porn himself, Don Houston, labeled the title as an instant classic, such was the lifelike experience this title provided with a perfect storm cast.
2) Jack's POV 14: Digital Playground has long been a leader in providing high definition titles for fans to enjoy, outpacing all the other companies (most of whom tend to dabble at best) in such releases. While they tend to go light on the extras, they make a point of focusing on the body of the release to offer up some of the best looking porn available, their contract cuties never looking better thanks to the company upgrade with the RED camera systems. In Jack's POV #14, the movie helped propel contract starlet Riley Steele into prominence, the performances by Alexis Texas and Kristina Rose certainly adding some major stroke value and replayability. It's far easier to see the benefits of movies such as Nurses and Teachers but in terms of the Blu-ray upgrade, our team seemed to appreciate the subtlety of POV camerawork even more.
Support Our Sponsor:
3) Performers of the Year 2009: This dual disc release had so much quality footage that it could have competed as two separate movies, the casting again so perfectly aligned with what fans want to be in a class by itself. While not as technically perfect looking as some of the other titles on the list, it provided a great reason to search out the high definition version for the added detail, resolution, and sheer magnitude of the work that went into it. Between the bonus extras and the movie itself, nearly every big name in porn was included and the series itself is so awaited that Elegant Angel is one of the only companies to release such a big name hit every year well after most award shows have closed (talk about confidence earned!). In any case, this fan favorite in the Blu-ray category was championed by our staffers as a great piece of work, the kind that keeps us coming back time and again for satisfaction.
4) The Surrender of O: Adam & Eve is not generally known for their high definition Blu-ray releases, the market not developed enough for the company to make the investment as Digital Playground or Hustler have done but they have dabbled successfully with such hits as The Surrender of O, a BDSM title just edgy enough to help fans forget it was released in 720p. Starring Bree Olson and a wonderful supporting cast, the movie is a sequel that many of us found to be solid on many levels, the extras enough to push it over the wall to claim a spot on the list. Original features in porn have given way to the sitcum parodies of late but the market is still there for this time of release, the kind even aficionados will find refreshing as it helps spread the news about their fetish in a positive light.
5) Buttman's Stretch Class: Evil Angel's head honcho, John "Buttman" Stagliano, gave the Blu-ray big shots a run for their money with a title few would have guessed would be ported over to high definition in Buttman's Stretch Class, the tease-oriented title getting four curvy ladies to provide a superior amount of tease without the usual mopes getting in the way of the fantasy. John decided to upgrade the production with high definition but it stood out due to the passion and energy his works have long been associated with, the man a long time industry leader for those interested in shapely asses worked to the max in gonzo releases. Porn is about the excitement and fantasy so while we give the competition its due, fans will want to check this one out to see why tending to the basics is so important.
XCritic's Best of 2009: